The Moodle logs allow you to track all student activity in your course. You can use the logs to quickly get a snapshot of which students have participated in forums. This is particularly useful if you have assigned a nominal mark to forum participation, that is one mark for students participating in each forum, not related to the quality of the posts.
To view logs for all students for all activities on one day
- Reports are now available from the Navigation block. Click the triangle twirlies to reveal Reports and logs. Click Logs
A window appears prompting you to choose which logs you want to see.
- From the day drop-down list choose the day you want to see logs for.
- For this example, leave the other settings as is
- Click Get these logs.
As you can see this view will show you everything each student has been doing, including viewing information, accessing resources or creating posts or content. To drill down to a specific activity however it is easier to search by activity.
To view participation reports for a specific activity
- From the Navigation block, choose Reports.
- Click the link to Course Participation.
- In the Activity Module drop-down list select the forum activity you want a report on.
- In the Look Back drop-down list select the time duration you want to get logs for, e.g. last 2 days, 3 weeks.
- In the Show only field, select Student to only see logs for students.
- In the All Actions drop-down list, select Post to only see who has posted to the forum.
- Click Go, a list of all students will appear showing a Yes next to those who have posted with the number of posts shown in brackets.
To view individual student logs
- To view all activity for an individual student, in the People block click Participant.
- Click on a student’s name from the list, their profile will appear.
- Click on the Activity Report tab.
- There are a few different views in this tab, the most useful one to see a snapshot of activity is the All logs view.